Tuesday 26 February 2013

Foodie: Saturday night baking is sunday morning breakfast!

On Friday afternoon I suddenly felt the need to either make an amazing meal or to bake something.
Seeing as I was alone that evening and I never really enjoy eating by myself, I decided to bake something I had never made before. I went through my recipe book, looked online but none of the things that I saw really inspired me (or they were simply to difficult to make).


Still uninspired I let go of the thought of baking. It was later that day when I thought about my family in the United States, that the idea of baking a zucchini bread popped into my head. My aunt used to make that every time she came over to The Netherlands. She would make at least three loafs and divide them between the family members. As a kid I loved the taste of it, as it was sweet and full of flavors I then didn't know.

By then I was too lazy for a run to the super market so I did that on Saturday. Before that, I checked one of my favourite online cooking shows called Laura in the Kitchen by Laura Vitale and luckily she has a video on her website. Because we have American measuring cups and spoons at home I didn't have to convert them to grams. If you do need to do this, the internet is full of converters to make life a bit easier.

It turned out to be a very quick and easy to make recipe and my first zucchini bread made from scratch is perfect! It's very moist and flavorsome which makes it lovely with a cup of tea or coffee.

my precious


These are the ingredients:
1 ½ cups of All Purpose Flour                                             
½ tsp of Salt
1 tsp of Baking Soda
½ tsp of Baking Powder
1 ½ tsp of Ground Cinnamon
¼ tsp of Nutmeg
2 Eggs
½ cup of Vegetable Oil
1 cup of Granulated Sugar
¼ cup of Brown Sugar
1 cup of Shredded Zucchini (1 large zucchini)
2 Tsp of Vanilla Extract
½ cup of Chopped Walnuts, optional


And here goes the recipe:
1) Preheat the oven to 350 degrees (or a 177 degrees Celsius), Lay a loaf pan with parchment paper and set aside.

2) In a large bowl with a hand held mixer, add the eggs and both kinds of sugar and whisk until smooth. Add the vanilla, zucchini and vegetable oil and mix that until its all well combined.

3) In a smaller bowl, add the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg.

4) In another small bowl, toss the walnuts in 2 Tbsp of the flour mixture.

5) Add the flour mixture to the zucchini mixture and mix to combine but making sure not to over mix. Fold in the walnuts coated in the little bit of flour.

6) Pour mixture into the prepared baking pan and bake for about 50 minutes to an hour or until a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean. Allow it to cool slightly before serving.
 
 
If you decide to give it a try, let me know in the comments how it turns out!

No comments: